Friday, March 14, 2014

Great Guests

It has been almost two weeks since I have come to the White Mountains Hostel. In that time I have already met some amazing guests. They all have made me feel very good about my decision to come here.

Just a few of the people I have had a chance to speak with since getting here have been the instructors from the mountaineering course at NCSU, Terry and Tommy,  and their participants. What a fun group to have at the hostel. How cool is it to have a mountaineer course at your college? Way to go! Oh and they know the way to a Hostel managers heart , feed him!

I have had the pleasure of meeting Marguerite and Emerson. Marguerite has shared with me that she is a retired NYC public school teacher. She swims four days a week for an hour, and she is an avid hiker, which brings her to our hostel. She also shared with me that she has been staying at hostels since she was 16 and has had amazing travels doing so.  The best thing she shared with me is " I eat well and exercise to stay healthy. I earned that teachers pension and I want to live a long time and spend it all!" Well we hope to see her and Emerson come back here for years to come.

There has been several repeat guests that have shared great stories of their skiing, hiking, and climbing of the past here in the White Mountains. The all are very fond of this hostel and I have appreciated all their insights and tips on the area.

We also have some professional guides come through, and to say I am impressed with what they do for work, is a huge understatement. These guys have serious skills and I am hoping to learn a few tips from them along the way.

We had two brothers that dragged their father to the hostel and he did know what to expect. The father and I  had a great talk about the work he does while the kids went out skiing. I think he was pleasantly surprised by the hostel. The sons are very nice guys and I enjoyed their visit.

I have a fun group from Virginia staying here,  they are serious climbers. One of them  offered to help me doing some art painting, very kind of her! Another has offered some music artists I didn't know of and that is always a great thing in my book to get that kind of tip. The third offered to promote the hostel as much as possible back home and that is great to hear.

There are several others nice conversations I have had just in these two weeks. This is why hostels are a great mode of travel.


Everyone has been very kind and wishing me and the hostel success. Thanks everyone for making me feel very welcomed to my new home. I also just want to add thanks to all my friends and family who also have been offering great encouragement during this big move. Your all the best!

Tim


No comments:

Post a Comment